Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day One. Chest and Back plus Ab Ripper X

So, I started P 90X today, first day of 90 to come. The workout was great.  I'll stopped working out partly due to a nasty shoulder sprain that turned into "frozen shoulder." So, the first day is in the books and I feel great about it. ABX was tough.  I know that time will change that. Heading off to down a recovery drink.

So I was thinking that the reason for the shoulder putting out of action sounds lame, in a way.  It was something that scared me like no other.

I found out I sprained the AC joint on my shoulder.  And by not using it, my shoulder literally froze up.  The range of motion just, well, it was NOT good at all.  My PT (she is incredible, btw) told me to talk to a orthopedic surgeon about my shoulder - and that I might have a torn rotator cuff.  And that would suck big time.

So off I went to a hospital in Boston and had my first MRI.  The next day, I met with the surgeon.  It went well until there were four doctors in the exam room and he brought up interesting here.  "Oh shit," I thought to myself.  "I have a tear, I HAVE A TEAR!"   But no.

Teres Minor Muscle
Turns out I had a tumor in my shoulder, I know.  It was in the teres minor in the shoulder, taking up a lot of the muscle.  Hmm.   The doctor told me that he was setting my up with a colleague and friend at Dana Farber for an biopsy.  So, I was headed to one of the foremost cancer centers in the world.  Holy crap.

Fast forward and the biopsy came back negative.  What I have is a lipoma in the muscle - very rare.  Lipomas are just fatty tumors.  Did you ever have a dog that had bumps under their fur?   They're lipomas.

So, after three months of PT, I received the green light to start lifting weights again and today was day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment